Monday 27 April 2009

You have to be 18 to drink coke??!!

This weekend has been odd.

Saturday turned out to be not as bright and sunny as I had planned, and therefore wearing flip flops became a rather ridiculous idea. After sliding and skidding to work in my feeble foam footwear, my lesson was cancelled. I had the sum total of three students, and after waiting half an hour, the three had become two. It was still a fairly productive morning as I sped around the office (in bare feet) organising the school trip letters that had to be translated into Somali. (Not by me..)

Afterwards, I caught the bus to mums. It only takes about half an hour, but my parents live in a lovely little village well out of the smoky suburbs. It was marvellous to see all the greenery that exists outside of the hard, grey buildings of the city. We spent the afternoon making sushi (Quite successfully I may add) and relaxing. Next weekend is the planned pond party (aka, pond digging and not much partying) which looks to be rigorous work.

Sunday was a tad on the dull side, however, I did manage to make a rather sumptuous dinner of Keema motta (mince and peas-yep, peas), bombay potatoes and rice. We tried to watch X men in preperation for the third one on Film 4 this evening. Unfortunately, the damn thing didn't load quick enough, and we had to watch it in bits until the internet cut off and we couldn't watch the end. I watched The Devil Wears Prada instead, while mr peas feigned interest. I had forgotten how fabulous that flick is.

This morning followed on from the dullness, (as ever on a monday morning.) with a magnificent meeting about how to complete a funding bid form. Joys.
I spent most of the meeting dreaming of a delicious Scream Burger dripping with cheese and BBQ sauce. When I finally arrived at the bar of the Dog, after having run to catch the 22, coat, bag and boobs flying in opposite directions, the conversation went something like this:

me "Could I have a coke please?" imbecile "Can I see some ID?" me (incredulous) "Sorry, I want a coke please?" imbecile "I need to see some ID." me (baffled) "I don't have any on me.. it's a coke." imbecile "I can't let you drink here if you're not 18."

YOU WHAT??
I nearly asked him how old you had to be to work in a pub, and point out that I am 21 in three weeks, and an English teacher.

We ended up in Varsity. (Not before I had used the toilets though. Rebel.)

After a rather ravishing meal and coke in a decidedly better pub, feeling inspired by the Devil Wears Prada, I scooted down to Peacocks and bought myself a new fabulous red skirt, black sweat shirt thing and a beautiful new bag. What was even more fabulous was the mere £31.00 I shelled out for all three. I will now be able to stroll into Crewe and feel magnificent and not the slightest bit barfy. I still need to sort out my 2 minute speech which will be on modern foreign languages in the primary school. I pretty much have it pinned, but I just need to sort out statistics, and a fun and interesting way of putting my point of view forward. (The naked presentation giving suggested by one of my friends was quickly squashed.)

I am about to bob back out to work again, despite feeling that it is about the last thing I want to do now, but I am rather desperate for the dough!

The Gilmore Girls make me happy :)
clicky.. go on!




No comments:

Post a Comment