Wednesday 17 March 2010

Please miss... she's picking her nose...


The best part of my enthralling (please note sarcasm) course is most definately placement. This is when our bored, bedraggled brains finally get an opportunity at REAL teaching.

It's all very exciting.

Placements range from 2-4 weeks and take place in Primary Schools in the South Yorkshire area. I am currently shlepping some 15 miles to get to my placement which is located in a beautiful sleepy village which shall remain anonymous for obvious reasons. (I like that when you type paedos, spelling options are paella, paeony and pardons.) This means that I have to rise and shine at the glorious time of 5:45 if I have any chance of getting there by 8:15 on the trains (Although with the speed of transport, it would be easier by shank's pony some days.)

Unfortunately, the student life has to be put aside all in the name of professionalism, which is why, on this glorious St Paddy's evening I find myself alone, in my room listening to Portugal. The man and mourning the death of my social life.

On the upside, placement enables an opportunity to a more hands on approach with teaching, rather than listening to the droning on of our opinionated lecturers. It also gives me some brilliant first hand experiences of "the funny things kids say."

Now, I can wholly appreciate those who find children, well, repulsive.

But I never seem to get angry when I am having water thrown over me, or balls thrown at my head, I just seem to find it amusing and put it down to their "mischievous" behaviour. I have a feeling this will come in handy as a Primary teacher.

Today's quote of the day came from a very small year 3 child who came up to me and tugged my sleeve: "miss, miss, I've done something naughty and I know it's naughty but I've found it and I've cleaned it up now miss." In response to the inevitable question of exactly what he had done he responded in total honesty "I drew on the wall miss." And then promptly walked off. If only all children were so truthful.

On another occasion today, there was a suspiciously large black smudge across the table next to one little boy. When asked if he had cause the appearance of said smudge, he denied all knowledge. That was until I pointed out the matching large black smudge across his thumb.

In a different class on monday, after being asked about what he thought on recycling and having a think he answered that he ate more so that he could recycle more. What a star.




1 comment:

  1. I love little children. I like it that once they've decided they like you, they show you all their injuries on a weekly/daily basis. "Look at my swollen knee."

    ReplyDelete