Friday 5 June 2009

Addictions.

There are many addictions in this world.

The most common being nicotine addictions, food addictions, kleptomania, drug addiction, alcohol addiction yadda yadda yadda.

What most people don't realise (unluckily for them) is that it's not always usual things people are addicted to. In fact, some philopsophers argue that to have "usual" addictions, you must also have "unusual" addictions.

That is the case for my mother.

My mother is addicted to tupperware.

Now please do not misunderstand my hatred for tupperware and my concern for my mother's addiction. It is not that I do not fully accept that tupperware is a fantastic creation. The thought of being able to lock up a half eaten apple inside a see through plastic prison and lock it inside a fridge for days upon end, and jeer at it through the walls until it is taken out, just as fresh as when it was locked up, and eaten is just amazing.


Mrs T Ware really outdid herself on this little creation.


What really ticks me off with regards to tupperware is the sheer amount my mother has. In fact, out of the ten particularly large cupboards, my mother has dedicated one of them to tupperware. Thats one tenth of her kitchen solely set aside for the purpose of storing her addiction.

Everything, from cheese to sundried tomatoes is stored in a tupperware box. If you stand still long enough, she will collect your body parts and store them in her little plastic boxes. I was slightly worried before I moved in that I would be sleeping in a plastic coffin. Thank fully, there is still space in my room for my bed. The tupperware hasnt gone quite that far.... yet.

It has now become perfectly normal to recieve a telephone call at work from my mummy who explains in depth her latest tupperware collection. She has a particular fondness for lids that click on either side.


Oh yes, there are even different types of lids.

Unfortunately for me, these tupperware boxes have to be neatly stacked into the cupboard. And for the life of me, no matter how much the company guarantees that all boxes are stackable, one neatly inside another, can I get the blighters into the cupboard. My mother seems to have learnt the knack, but inevitably, when I open that cupboard (Also, inconveniently located just above my head height) I am showered in plastic missiles.


The damned things also have lids. On purchasing a particularly wonderful (Or so I'm told) tupperware collection, my father and my sister's partner (Being ridiculously tall) decided to hide said lids on the tops of the cupboards. My mother, being as equally tiny as myself hunted high and low for the damn things. Feeling deeply distressed, she eventually turned to my father for help, and it was at this point, we truly realised the extent of her addiction.


Unfortunately (for us, and fortunately for all evil tupperware manufacturers world wide) there is no AA for Tupperware fanatics. There is no where to turn to when Tupperware takes over your lives. And so it has been left to myself and my family to pick up the plastic pieces (gerrit?) that have become our everyday lives. I have even started to act enthusiastically when a new brand is thrust under my nose.


If you happen to know of anyone with a similar affliction, feel free to contact me. I understand your plight and the pain that tupperware causes in a normal, everyday family. We can all work through this together.

3 comments:

  1. My mum used to have a special, how can I describe this, prong on the inside of her larder door on which to hang the lids of her Tupperware (the little thumb holds on the lids had a purpuse built notch in for the purpose). But it's been a long time since she actually used any tupperware.

    When I was a kid we used to eat our cereal out of tupperware bowls and I remember really well the very specific sound of the scrape of a spoon against the textured surface of the base of the bowl.

    Ah memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum has a bizarre obsession with rolls. Apparently, you can never have enough rolls. And sugar pots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shmead no1. She also has the bizarre obsession with tupperware, have you not seen the cupboard by the sink, Stephen? It isn't just tupperware, she collects old icecream tubs too. But she doesn't stack them neatly, so hours are spent trying to match the tupperware box with the four hundred lids.

    ReplyDelete